The Doctor's Kitchen - "My Best Breakfast Bowl"
Updated: Dec 30, 2021
A wonderful brunch recipe from The Doctor's Kitchen which is absolutely delicious, nutritious and is guaranteed to keep hunger at bay until dinner time!
Recipes makes 2 healthy servings, and requires 5-10 minutes prep and 15 minutes cooking time.
1tbsp olive oil
200g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
½tsp dried oregano
400g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
2tsp green pesto,
100g spinach chopped or whole leaves
2tsp grass-fed butter
2tsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves (chives or dill are equally good)
4 eggs, beaten
2 slices sourdough, toasted
20g raw hazelnuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a high heat, then add the mushrooms and oregano and sauté for 6 min. Divide the mushrooms between 2 serving bowls.
2. Put the butter beans and pesto into the empty pan and put it back over a medium heat. Cook, gently stirring, for 4–5 min to warm through the beans, then transfer the mixture to the serving bowls, keeping it separate from the mushrooms.
3. Take the pan off the heat.Put the spinach into the empty pan and cover for 1–2 min to allow the leaves to wilt gently in the residual heat of the pan.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Before it has a chance to brown, add the chopped tarragon and stir for 20–30 sec, then add the beaten eggs and scramble them with a whisk or fork, stirring them continuously.
Take the pan off the heat when the eggs are almost cooked. They will finish cooking in the residual heat (this technique prevents them overcooking and maintains a creamy texture).
5. Place the eggs and spinach in the serving bowls and season lightly with black pepper. Scatter the hazelnuts over the mushrooms and serve the breakfast bowls with a slice of sourdough.