Warm Chilli Tofu Salad
Updated: Sep 4, 2022
A sweet and smoky salad full of Thai flavours and crunchy textures, this wonderful dish is taken from the Wagamama Feed Your Soul recipe book. It's a recipe that can easily be adapted (always a win in our house!). Experiment with courgette instead of aubergine or replace any of the veg with your own favourites - I guarantee you'll love it!
Note, its really worth making the dressing first - things can get a little manic otherwise!
Ingredients: 2 servings
(Make this in advance - it'll keep for a few days in the fridge)
• 1tsp finely chopped shallots
• 1cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
• 1/2 garlic clove crushed
• 1 tblsp rice wine vinegar
• 1/2 tblsp tomato ketchup
• 1/2 tblsp water
• 50ml olive oil
• 1 1/2 tblsp light soy sauce
• 2-3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 aubergine, halved length-ways and finely sliced
• 100g tofu or firm tofu, drained & cubed
• 20g cornflour
• 125g asparagus, finely sliced
• 100g tenderstem broccoli, sliced
• 100g mangetout
• 1 red onion, finely sliced
• 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
• 2 tbsp Korean barbeque sauce
• 2 Baby Gem lettuce, leaves removed, hearts reserved and finely sliced
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
• 2 spring onions finely sliced
• 20g unsalted cashew nuts
For the dressing, place all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
Heat 1tbsp of oil in a frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Fry aubergine until golden brown each side and set on a plate to the side.
Prepare (press) the tofu as per packet instructions then place in a shallow bowl and generously coat each piece with cornflour. Heat another spoonful of oil in the pan and fry tofu until golden on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set to the side.
Add the asparagus, broccoli, mangetout and red onion and stir-fry over medium heat for 6-7 minutes, tossing occasionally and adding a splash of oil if required. Take the pan off the heat, add the aubergine and tofu and stir through the sweet chilli and barbeque sauces.
Divide the lettuce leaves and hearts between 2 serving plates and drizzle over the salad dressing. Arrange the tofu and stir-fried vegetables on top and garnish with the red chilli, spring onions and cashew nuts.
It's also great with chicken in stead of tofu!